background

Monday, April 28, 2014

We went to the zoo...

Hola Familia!

     We had a pretty interesting and eventful week.  A couple Saturday's ago we were knocking doors and ran into a woman named Lacey who said that she had met with missionaries before and gone to seminary when she was 16 in Maryland. We know that we were supposed to be on that street to find her. So we set up a return appointment and went back on Wednesday. She was telling us all about her seminary days. How she lost her quad in a move and how she just loved doing baptisms for the dead.... That was a shock. Sister Blaylock and I were on splits and I was with a member. I think my face was very shocked. I guess she didn't feel the need to mention that her and her mom had been baptized! What?! It was crazy but it was so exciting. She is married and has 6 children ranging form 7 months to 19 years old.  None of them are members. I know that Heavenly Father needed us on that street to find her. We gave her a Book of Mormon again and she started reading. She said that she still knows it is true. That spark is still there. 

      One of the members took us to visit someone that she met at a storage facility and she invited her to church.  We were waiting for her to finish talking to someone else in a line. Someone else approached us and asked if we were from a Christian school. We told him who we were and one of them said that he was baptized when he was 14 and hasn't really been that much since. But he is moving to Virginia. Then his friend wanted a book of Mormon. Actually they both did. We ended up teaching a lesson right there. Once again. Right place right time. Heavenly Fathers timing is perfect. 

     Q and Jose are doing well. They had a little rough patch this week and got a little discouraged. Because they were struggling with some problems that they had been having. But they are both getting baptized on May 17th and married in the morning. Q came to church and really enjoyed it again.  She really feels the love of the members and their welcome. She was late again though. We taught the Word of Wisdom, she said that she believes it and is going to try it so she can be healthier. Heavenly Father prepared her heart and softened it. 

     Then sometimes during a lesson you are just bearing your testimony about Joseph Smith teaching the restoration and trying to have the spirit with you when BAM. An investigators child just flings a shoe at your head and it hits spot on. Ooooo. I went cross eyed for a second don't worry. Never mind I already had a headache. Oh well. Then when you have to back up the car for your companion and you open the door and she puts it in neutral. The car is on a hill so it slides backwards and the door hits you and knocks you down. I might have a few bruises. But I am still hoppin. She didn't do it on purpose... I think. Good thing I like Sister Blaylock. 
     We also taught Primary this week. The 6 year olds. Man oh man. I forgot how big of pills they can be... Jeepers. Sit down and please be quiet does not mean a thing to them. But we made though with only a little bit of bribery sugar does wonders. Especially if it is the last 5 minutes of the class. Sugar em up and send em home. That's our motto. 

     Ferrets,  lizards  rats, bunnies, bearded dragons Oh my. So we stopped by this Less Actives house this week who has a zoo in her house. I don't really like animals that much but ya know..So we get in there and she pulls out her Ferrets. Have you ever seen one before? They are creepy looking. and then right when we are sharing our testimonies one jumps on me. So I started blocking it  with my Book of Mormon  . "ehhh ehh ehh". I pretty much have the best companion in the world because she took it off of me. Eww. She likes animals but not ferrets.  Ya not a fan. But we both survived the zoo house. We died of Laughter later. Missions really do bring a lot of exciting things and stories I suppose. 

     I thought I would share something about Preach my Gospel. When it was revealed through a prophet and apostles I don't think that Heavenly Father ever meant for it to be something that was just for missionaries. And if he meant that he meant it in the sense that every member a missionary. If everyone were to read and study it they would find themselves drawing closer to Jesus Christ. Developing more Christ-like attributes and not taking the basics of the gospel for granted. Principles like the atonement can truly can be opened to our minds and we can see greater and deeper meanings to strengthen our testimony. I love it. Every time I open it I can feel it's power and just how much Heavenly Father loves all of his children. It is true that the more we understand the Gospel and in essence the Atonement (after all they are interchangeable words) the greater our desire to share it. There are people all around us members and nonmembers alike who need strengthening in the gospel and we have a commission to help them. And what do we get from it more blessings and a deeper conversion ourselves. The blessings are never ending. I am grateful for Preach My Gospel and it makes me wish that I could use it more effectively and understand it better. As well as be a better instrument in the hands of the Lord.

     It was a great week. We are excited to continue on in the Lords work. Well, have a great week. I love you all lots and pray for you always! 

LOVE YA BYE! 
Ciao! :)

Love Sister Weeks (Rachel)
A little extra I gleaned that I thought was interesting.   She said they eat with members almost every day and they feed them very well and way too many sweets.  I told her she needed to walk more or ride her bike and she said the weather has been a little bit rainy and it isn't very safe to ride bikes in the area that we are in. There isn't really and side walks and the roads are really skinny.  I asked how many car miles they got each month and she said "We get 1150 miles every month but because we won the clean car award during zone conference we got 50 extra miles! YAY! That took a lot of hard work."  She said that "We went on 13 team ups this week so that is pretty good! We go pretty often. The work in Lilburn is kinda hard but I still like it."  She said they mostly go out with members on the splits and that they are very helpful.  It's great to know she is doing fine and loving the work that she is doing.


She says this is #swag.  I just think she is adorable

Really cool house we found.  We will go back one day when it isn't raining so hard.

She says this is gangsta style.  I wonder if she uses that look as a door approach?

No comments:

Post a Comment