background

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

"I Will Not Be Still"

Hey there family!

     It was a pretty crazy long, but good week here in Greensboro. Monica and her kids CJ and Desia are so excited to get baptized on the 26th of July. She faced a little opposition with church this Sunday. She wanted to be able to come so bad and even wore her church clothes to work. Her boss told her that she could get off early. So her kids were at her Moms house all dressed and ready to go. Her boss wouldn't let her off early and the girl that was supposed to come and replace her was late and another one went home sick so they wouldn't let her off. She was pretty sad when we told her that her baptismal date was going to have to be moved but she is doing well she has such a strength and a positive attitude about her. She is so excited to get baptized with her children. When we went to her house Sunday  night CJ met us by the car and say "we're really sorry we missed church I really wanted to come." It broke my heart to hear that but it helped me see the sincerity and innocence of children and he wants to follow Jesus Christ's example so bad. Even though it was hard I think it was a good experience for them and it helped strengthen their faith. 


     We had a lesson about a change of heart and conversion with Monica. It was an amazing lesson. It opened some pretty neat doors for a discussion. We talked to her about joining the church - The Lords Kingdom on this earth - that it is forever. That her and her children have the goal of the temple and eternity in sight.  She said that she loves teaching her children right from wrong, well the gospel is the perfect place to be. We also were able to share the story of the stripling warriors not doubting that their mothers knew it. She expressed that she has seen a change in her children and she wants them to have this. CJ and Desia are really remembering what we have taught them and love the lessons. They are fighting over who gets to get baptized first. haha. The pure excitement is contagious. Missionary work is so rewarding. :)

     And we did an object lesson with pepper, dish soap and water and they were completely fascinated by it they made us do it 4 times.  You just sprinkle the pepper and water and put a drop of dish soap on your finger and touch the pepper on top of the water and it scatters to the side. Then later in the week Monica's 4 year old (Cartez) brought her pepper and water and said "I want to do it mom. Do it" She didn't understand what he was talking about and said what? He poked his finger down and said "separate". haha. We made an impact. :) Too cute. 

 
      We are also meeting with Brenda. She is a members sister. We took some other members over there and the lesson was great. She was really able to feel that connection with them and I think that it changed her perspective a little bit. She felt a connection with them and expressed her desire to quit smoking and start coming to church. She felt the love from the members and knows that there is something good here. As she even admitted that it is truth and promised to come. She knows that it will change her life because she saw it do that for her Sister and Brother in law. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Members are so important in this work! When they have someone they can relate to they can truly feel how it will help them in their lives. 


     And on Sunday I got permission to go to Lilburn to go to the Memorial service for Jose. Q is such a champ, she is handling it so well. She just stood up in front of everyone and bore her testimony of the gospel. How much the Plan of Salvation means to her and that she knows that they can be a family forever and she is so excited to go to the temple in a year. Angela, Jose and Selena ambushed me with hugs when I got there. They are the cutest things ever. Even they know that they get to go to the temple in a year and are so excited. All the Sister missionaries (me included....) Got up with the kids and sang "I am a child of God"  I am not good at singing but it was sweet to see them sing it. I got to see Sister Blaylock too. She is the best! I miss her so much she goes home in 4 weeks which is super weird. She is a rock star missionary. She is one amazing Sister missionary. 

       And yesterday we gave our truck back. It was sad to see it go and it is weird to be in a little car again we could just get squished like a bug. And I had to drive the truck on the last day because Sister Andrus wasn't feeling well. So I can say I drove it but I can't necessarily say that I enjoyed it. I was white knuckling it the whole time, but the seat wasn't wet when I was done. But I was petrified. Glad to be done with that. haha. :)

     Last thought, I can't even imagine how hard it is for investigators and what a huge leap of faith to have two 20 year old girls knock on their door and say that we can come in and then not only that but keep letting them come back. All because of the converting power of the spirit. This gospel is true. And then after a very short time they become like family. It's the best. Sometimes it gets to be a crazy whirlwind around here but we just roll with it.
      I'm listening to the song "I Will Not Be Still" and that describes exactly what I feel about this situation. How can I be still with how I feel. It keeps me going every single day. "I don't have the words his truth deserves...He calls me to serve and I cannot fail him. The one who has given me all that I have. I place my trust in him a lone he knows the yearnings of my soul. Because he believes in me I will go willingly. How can I keep this gift to myself? When I can lift somebody else. I am a witness of his miracles and his mercy. I put my future in his hands knowing he's made me all that I am. When I put my faith in him the truth begins to speak. His power is real it moves me until I will not be still. Lifting the hands that hang down in sorrow, strengthening knees that bend in despair, reaching the hopeless hearts who do not know his love. Seeing their lives begin to change I know I'll never be the same. how can I keep this gift to myself when I can lift somebody else..... His power is real I trust in his will I will not be still."  It truly is a motivation.

     Well, I hope you all have a great week. Love ya lots. Have fun and laugh and love often.

Love ya bye!

Love Sister Weeks (Rachel)


"I got cheesecake for my birthday!!"

Farewell truck. You have been a trusty steed. In the Philippines that is the hand signal that they do. Mostly we just think we are super cool.....

Greensboro as we see it.

Sister Andrus and Weeks

We got em!  Gross cockroaches.

Athens Zone with new President.  President and Sister Bennion.

Rachel and sisters with Q and her family at Jose's Memorial Service.  She was given permission to go back and go.

A guy at the library gave me a balloon for my birthday

Rachel and Q's children at the service.

Rachel and Sister Andrus - A ward member decorated our door for the 4th of July!!  It was cute.

My birthday balloon  and my comp Sister Andrus.

Saying goodbye to our truck after such a long time our Blue Chevy Cruze is back and it seems so small.

Sister Andrus likes to capture frogs.  she caught two.  She was quite proud of herself.







Oh I just love it when she send pictures!  She seems good and looks so happy.  She has had some interesting experiences and has met many new lifelong friends.  Next week she has a baptism and will be moving into a new place.  A member offered up their basement for them with she is thrilled to be cockroach free soon.  She also said they give service each week at a christian thrift store and help a few other people out when needed.  This week they were on the road a lot but had a real good week.  On Tuesday they went and met with the new mission President and had interviews.  She said they are wonderful, spiritual and humble people and it will be great to be able to learn from them.  They are President and Sister Bennion.  They are from Utah.

No comments:

Post a Comment