background

Monday, November 17, 2014

Back to the College Campus. Turtle.

Hey there family!

     Well this week we had some pretty amazing experiences. But a lot of running around as well. We had dinner with Sister Cash who is a member of the ward. She is from Jamaica so she made us some food from her country. Super good. :) Who knew that in Georgia I would get food from all over the world. haha.

      This week it has been really cold. And I don't like cold. Humidity and cold are not good combinations. While I was on exchange Sister Smith wanted to run in the morning. Mind you I haven't really ran since I left Greensboro so about 10 weeks. Well we ran about 3 miles. And I refused to walk or give up. haha. I obviously need to let go of some pride. But I MADE IT! 

      This week on Saturday we had some time and we didn't want to be out in the cold for 3 hours strait so we met with a member who is less active. Her name is Kate. She is super hilarious and really quirky. She is a convert but has been struggling with her faith lately because of some hard things that have happened. We weren't sure what we were going to share but in the middle some things popped into our minds to share some personal experiences and a scripture and she just opened right up. She is afraid and feels lost. The spirit was so strong and then yesterday we got a text message from her that said. "Thanks for the visit yesterday. The stories made a difference. A big one." It was amazing. When we open up to others and show that we are vulnerable we can help them more than we know. Heavenly Father knows where all of his children are and is just waiting to reach out in love to them.

      I went on exchange to KSU (the university where some sisters are) There is just a little branch there. I was super nervous because it is all contacting. So stopping people in the middle of what they are doing and talking to them. Something that is not exactly easy for me. So I was a little, or a lot, intimidated by it at first. But Sister Smith who has been there for several transfers and goes home next transfer is a professional at it. Heavenly Father helped me out a lot on that one. It was a little weird to talk to people my own age. Don't worry I didn't even turtle on her. (As in hide in my shell and never want to come out again and leave her to hold the conversation by herself.) Yep it didn't even happen.  It was a little bit of a deja vu to be at college again, but it wasn't even too awkward. haha. The spirit was definitely there as we were talking to people and we had some pretty great experiences. Missionary work really can be done just about anywhere.

      This week is about something that I was assigned to give a training on in District meeting this week so I have been pondering it a lot. The topic kind of caught me by surprise. Our district leader said the spirit has revealed to me that you are a good journal keeper so that is what my training is on.  A quote in PMG by Elder Scott that says "Knowledge carefully recorded is knowledge available in a time of need." Then I like the next part he says "Spiritually sensitive information should be kept in a sacred place that communicates to the Lord how you treasure it. This practice enhances the likelihood of your receiving further light." So he wanted me to relate to the book of Mormon and them keeping records and a couple things have stuck out to me. If they didn't carefully record it we wouldn't have it. Way to state the obvious right? But in Alma 37:9 they are talking about  if they didn't have the scriptures and the word of God the people would have not been converted. And in Enos he prayed diligently and with fervor that the Lord would preserve the records so his brethren could benefit from them and the things they cared about. They showed the Lord that they treasured the information he gave to them and then they were able to receive more. So as I have been writing in my Journal I have been more pondering the question How have I seen the hand of the Lord today? Because of a quote by President Eyring he said "I wrote down a few lines every day for years. I never missed a day no matter how tired I was or how early I would have to start the next day. Before I would write, I would ponder this question: “Have I seen the hand of God reaching out to touch us or our children or our family today?” As I kept at it, something began to happen. As I would cast my mind over the day, I would see evidence of what God had done for one of us that I had not recognized in the busy moments of the day. As that happened, and it happened often, I realized that trying to remember had allowed God to show me what He had done. More than gratitude began to grow in my heart. Testimony grew. I became ever more certain that our Heavenly Father hears and answers prayers. I felt more gratitude for the softening and refining that come because of the Atonement of the Savior Jesus Christ. And I grew more confident that the Holy Ghost can bring all things to our remembrance—even things we did not notice or pay attention to when they happened." So that is really long... sorry. But I can see that when I do that my testimony does grow and I recognize that we are His precious children and I don't want to forget these experiences. Just as we can learn from the Book of Mormon I hope that one day someone can read my thoughts and know what the Gospel means to me and hopefully it can help their testimony and conversion.

       Then this week we are still teaching Jervy. The one from the Philippines whose husband is a member.  She is the cutest and she always want to make food for us. We have seen some pretty big miracles this week with her. Her husband has been less active for a while now but as she has been reading, he has been helping her understand more about it. He even volunteered to participate in class and shared some personal experiences. The spirit gets 'em every time. :)  She understands so much. She came to church again and loved it, just by the look on her face I can tell that she is feeling the spirit.  After we watched the Restoration video with her she accepted to be baptized in December. She is definitely in tune with finding the directions that God wants her to go.  We are so excited for her!!

      Well I think that is all for this week! I hope all is well you are in my prayers!

Love Sister Weeks (Rachel)


28 degrees is NOT okay.

F
Look a door for little people at Chick-fil-A. Too cute. :)


Sister Jones, she is super cute. We are reunited at last. (we have served around each other before. we are trouble) Just kidding.  *ting*

No comments:

Post a Comment