background

Monday, February 2, 2015

Faith in Him



Hey there family!

     Well it has been a great week in Milton. I am still excited to be here and still haven't seen a small house. But the search is still on. I'll let you know how it goes. 

     We visited with John Adams this week. He is a cute 82 year old black man who has still got rhythm. He is such a humble man. He is a convert of 4 years and less active because he has some health problems that make it so he can't often get out of bed. But at the end of the lesson he said he would like to say the prayer and thank God for letting us come over and all his blessings. An 82 year old man who often can't get out of bed got down on his knees and said a humble and sincere prayer. That is a man who knows the Savior and loves and respects him. He is an example to me.

     We have an investigator - Debbie - who is Jewish. A member of our congregation is one of her really good friends and we had a couple lessons with her. She is so close. She loves the church and the people. We talked with her about finding a faith in Christ. So this week we are meeting with her and a member in one of the other wards who used be Jewish and grew up in Jerusalem. I am so excited. We are praying it goes well and helps her discover her faith. 

     Because of Debbie I have been thinking a lot about faith in Jesus Christ. I feel like I can never learn enough about Him. One of our investigators is Jewish so she doesn't have a belief in Jesus Christ as the Son of God, so I have been trying to look at things from a little bit different perspective. We had a lesson with her at a members house and we decided to watch the video "Finding Faith in Christ" It was perfect for everyone there. The video is about Thomas one on Christs apostles who is referred to as "doubting Thomas" He tells of the perspective he has gained to someone who finds it hard to have faith. They show many experiences and miracles that Christ performed ending with HE LIVES. It reminded me of one of my very favorite talks "Lord I Believe" by Jeffery R Holland. The experience that he quotes in the talk is in the video so that could be why.. :) But there was a quote that I have been thinking about he says:
 "I would say to all who wish for more faith, remember this man! In moments of fear or doubt or troubling times, hold the ground you have already won, even if that ground is limited. In the growth we all have to experience in mortality, the spiritual equivalent of this boy’s affliction or this parent’s desperation is going to come to all of us. When those moments come and issues surface, the resolution of which is not immediately forthcoming, hold fast to what you already know and stand strong until additional knowledge comes.... I am not asking you to pretend to faith you do not have. I am asking you to be true to the faith you do have."
      We are all seeking in this life at different levels. Whether we are trying to decide what we believe or farther along than that and trusting in the Lord and his timing to our heartfelt pleas. But this advice is always applicable. In 2 Nephi 25:2 he prophesies "...He shall rise from the dead, with healing in his wings; and all those who shall believe on his name shall be saved in the kingdom of God..." We can be healed and our answers will come. Elder Hollands "last observation" in the talk is:
 "So be kind regarding human frailty—your own as well as that of those who serve with you in a Church led by volunteer, mortal men and women. Except in the case of His only perfect Begotten Son, imperfect people are all God has ever had to work with. That must be terribly frustrating to Him, but He deals with it. So should we. And when you see imperfection, remember that the limitation is not in the divinity of the work. As one gifted writer has suggested, when the infinite fullness is poured forth, it is not the oil’s fault if there is some loss because finite vessels can’t quite contain it all. Those finite vessels include you and me, so be patient and kind and forgiving. We all have access to his healing and enabling power."
 As Nephi says he will rise with healing in his wings. I feel that strength everyday. When the difficulties arise and His work gets hard I remind myself of his love, the faith I do have and then I am grateful that I don't have to carry a cross on my back or suffer above all. If we are to do his work we must experience a small part of what he did. I am eternally grateful for him and I KNOW he lives. He is my best friend. 

     When we watched the video there was a returning member there and a couple recent converts and like I said it was perfect for everyone. They were all touched in the way that God needed them to be. The spirit is so powerful!

     Last night we had a goal of how many people we wanted to talk to for the week but it was pouring rain. Well I didn't have my umbrella with me like a smarty pants so we were just tracting. And it wasn't just a light drizzle so I got pretty wet After an hour of tracting a lady asked if we wanted an umbrella. YAY! That was a tender mercy. So after another hour and the umbrella keeping me a little more dry we met our goal! Heavenly Father loves us and he made it possible. When we set goals inspired by him he WILL help us. I'm all dried out and warm. :)

     Last thing..,. Once a week we go and do service for an Old Folks home and all the ones there are well a few fries short of a happy meal pretty much. And this lady was talking to herself that I was sitting next to and I was chatting with another guy and then all of the sudden she pulls on my boot and said "Pull up your boots!" Then she scoffed and said the world now days.. and kept muttering. Well Yes mam I will get right on that... pulling up my boots. Right after I figure out how. If someone could explain it to me I would be most grateful.

     Well that's all for this week! I hope all is well. Y'all are in my prayers! Stay warm laugh lots and remember our Savior.

K love you bye!

Love Sister Week (Rachel)

Oh PS My new address is: 
14203 Deer Point Ct
Alpharetta GA 30004

No comments:

Post a Comment