background

Monday, March 2, 2015

"It's Desperation Ain't it?"

Hey there family!

     Okay well I hope you all catch the title reference and if not I'll just spoil it for you. "The Best Two Years" Elder Calhoun "It's humility ain't it?" Yep that too. :)

      So this week was an interesting one because we had snow.... Which I do not like, pretty much at all. It is pretty when you can be inside and warm other than that out with you I say! But good thing in the south it disappears pretty fast. And now today it is a nice 60 degrees and I am loving it. Georgia decided to finally realize what season it was supposed to be. Hallelujah. Blue skies! Maybe my ankles will see the light again. At last I have seen the light and the sun. YAY.

     Well this week the classic response we heard with many of our appointments and while we were tracting was "Go home the weather is too bad." The Governor declared a state of emergency for the threat of snow. That's right an EMERGENCY. It snow alright and then melted like an day later. Well that was fun. So when they tell us to go home then we just find something else to do. I wonder if they actually thought we would go home...? haha. 

     Every week we do service at a Nursing home and we play trivia with the cute little old people. They surprise me sometimes they know so many things. And then sometimes I have to wake them up or repeat the question a million times. A lady this week walked right passed me and asked "Where is my school?" So me not knowing what to say I just pointed and say "That way ma'am." Then I accidentally let a laugh escape and she said "haha is that all you know how to say?" In a rather disgusted tone. She said she found her school though. :) There was one of the doctors there that pretty much knew all the answers to EVERY question. That reminds me of someone else. I felt like I was trying to play trivia with Pops. Yep no one else has a prayer of a chance. You are still the human encyclopedia to me. 

     In a talk by Elder Nielsen in the last General Conference he talks about our own personal "spiritual oxygen mask" and how that represents our testimony. We have to have our own spiritual oxygen mask adjusted before we help anyone else. In district meeting we had a conversation about the "fire" in our lives and what the different components are to create the fire. We came up with the oxygen is our testimony. The spark is our conversion and then at the end our district leader sent us on a quest to find out what the fuel is. So all week in my studies and throughout the day I have been thinking about it and I haven't been able to think of anything. Then on Sunday during my personal studies Heavenly Father helped me to understand so much. He taught me that the fuel is desperation. Let me explain because it sounds kinda strange like that. Each time I am desperate to achieve a goal I spend so much more time in heartfelt prayer I exercise more faith and the goals are accomplished. I am literally filled with fire. I don't know if this is true with everyone but the Lord taught me something about myself that desperation or passion or truly being emotionally involved in all that I do helps me to grow and even when I have experiences that knock me down I am that much more determined to get back up and through the Lords strength I can. Okay so this makes sense and relates in my head so just pretend if it doesn't for you... 
      I was reading a talk by Elder Holland called "The First Great Commandment" it is about John 21 and Christ asking Peter "Lovest thou me?" Elder Hollands expounds on the experiences of Peters response saying “Then Peter, why are you here? Why are we back on this same shore, by these same nets, having this same conversation? Wasn't it obvious then and isn't it obvious now that if I want fish, I can get fish? What I need, Peter, are disciples—and I need them forever. I need someone to feed my sheep and save my lambs. I need someone to preach my gospel and defend my faith. I need someone who loves me, truly, truly loves me, and loves what our Father in Heaven has commissioned me to do. Ours is not a feeble message. It is not a fleeting task. It is not hapless; it is not hopeless; it is not to be consigned to the ash heap of history. It is the work of Almighty God, and it is to change the world. So, Peter, for the second and presumably the last time, I am asking you to leave all this and to go teach and testify, labor and serve loyally until the day in which they will do to you exactly what they did to me.” then continuing he asks some questions "Then, turning to all the Apostles, He might well have said something like: “Were you as foolhardy as the scribes and Pharisees? As Herod and Pilate? Did you, like they, think that this work could be killed simply by killing me? Did you, like they, think the cross and the nails and the tomb were the end of it all and each could blissfully go back to being whatever you were before? Children, did not my life and my love touch your hearts more deeply than this?” I feel like in this exchange that Christ has with Peter and the rest of his apostles described by Elder Holland he is begging them to be desperate in their quest to go forth with as much fire and passion as they possible can. This moves Peter and the remaining apostles to do just that to live a "majestic life of devoted service and leadership" As I was reading in Alma 5 the perfect chapter for self reflection,  I think Christ is asking us similarly "Do you love me?" Are you desperate and passionate in my cause? And I want to be able to answer without hesitation "Yeah Lord thou knowest that I love thee."

     This week we fasted especially for our investigators and a softened heart for them. Debbie and her daughter Dakota haven't been reading as much and Dakota is a slightly moody 13 year old so she doesn't often like church... We aren't' sure what to do but yesterday night Debbie texted us and said  "I am enjoying the Book of Mormon stories. She was sitting and reading while her daughter was at cheer leading practice. Then she said that she has been praying regularly. I thought I could fly. It makes my heart happy. I realize how much I care about people when they don't do what will make them the most happy and when they reject the most important thing to me. And I am SOO happy when they accept it. :)

I am truly blessed beyond measure. Even when times are hard and Heavenly Father teaches us through trials I can't even believe the miracles that pour in. Especially that he is able to use someone as weak, simple, young, and inadequate as me to do his work. I am so grateful for that trust. The snow is gone and I hope the warm weather stays! It is bound to be a great week serving beside the best life who has ever lived on this earth, Our Savior. He lives. 

Have a great week! I love y'all and pray for you always. Work hard play hard and be happy. :)

Love Sister Weeks (Rachel)


No transfer for them this week so I guess she stays with this companion until the end.  This is her last transfer and then she is coming home! Six more weeks.  She is not thrilled to leave.  She loves being a missionary and doesn't want to come back to make decisions in real life.  But we are a little bit excited to see her.


What happens in the south when it snows. . 

 No scrapper...? Looks like we just use a water bottle.

I don't like being cold. :)That is fake excitement on my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment